Home Banner

Upwood & The Raveleys History Pages

Schools

Upwood Village National School was built in 1871 with funds donated by R.H. Hussey Esq., the Lord of the Manor, and had space for 63 children. The school was enlarged in 1893 when it consisted of two main rooms, cloakrooms, and two playgrounds (one for boys at the back with the other for girls and infants at the front). During World War II evacuees were taught at the school. The school closed in 1959 when the current school building was opened on the outskirts of the village adjacent to the RAF base.

The old school building was sold, in trust, to the village in 1970 for conversion to a village hall. With subsequent alterations and additions it continues to be used as the village hall to this day.

1954 School 2
A Class at Upwood School - 1954
1933 Raveley Class

Great Raveley National School
opened on 26th November 1866 with space for 102 pupils, although only 46 children were present on its first day. The Ely Diocese, which funded the building and running of the school, also supplied a house for the headteacher - situated just across the road from the school. Interestingly the school was licensed as a place of worship with the parish registers for Upwood recording baptisms which took place in the schoolroom. Along with Upwood School, Great Raveley School also provided education for evacuees from London boroughs during the Second Word War.The school eventually closed in July 1962.

Both the school and headteacher's house are now private residences.
A Class at Great Raveley School- 1933

Further Information & Useful Links
We have no control over the content of any site to which a link is provided and take no responsibility for the content of sites visited via such links.

A short, detailed history of Upwood School (written by the Local History Group)
Cambs Community Archive Network A variety of old photographs of both schools, including class and team photos
Upwood Primary School Current website for Upwood Primary School
Abbey College, Ramsey Current website for the secondary school drawing students from Upwood & the Raveleys